Wednesday, 2 November 2016

Defining terms needed for The Preliminary Task

For my Preliminary Task I need to demonstrate match on action,  the 180 degree rule, rule of thirds and shot/reverse shot. I have decided to define each term so that I know for definite what I need to achieve to make a good final video.

Match on Action

This is a technique that involves the editor cutting from one shot to another view that matches the first action shot. It creates a sense of continuity so the viewer forgets or doesn't realise a cut has been made. It needs to be well done otherwise actions could overlap and not look like they are happening at one time.



The 180 Degree Rule

This is a rule that states that two characters in a scene should maintain the same left/right relationship to one another, when the camera passes over the invisible axis connecting the two subjects. I need to make sure I do this well in my task because otherwise it won't look realistic as the people talking won't match.


Rule of Thirds

This is where you divide your shot equally into 9 parts and you should place your point of focus on these lines or where the lines intercept which is meant to add more energy or interest to a shot. I will use this when filming my Preliminary Task to make sure the shot looks good and has that element of interest for the viewer.



Shot/Reverse Shot

This is a film technique where one character is shown looking at another character followed by the other character looking back. This will be important when I am filming the dialogue bit of my clip to make sure that it is fluid and fits the 180 degree rule.





No comments:

Post a Comment