Thursday, 24 November 2016

What feelings do opening sequences give us?

Film openings are made to try and get the viewer into the feeling of the film and give them an idea of the kind of things that are going to occur later. I decided to look at three different opening sequences and analyse the feelings I get whilst watching them. I have created a radar diagram for each one I watch (giving them a mark out of 10) and will explain why I think I have got that certain feeling.

Juno (2007)



The Juno opening sequence features the protagonist Ellen Page wondering around her town drinking Sunny D and then going into the drug store to perhaps get a pregnancy test, which leads the viewer into the main storyline of the film. The title sequence is made using a mixture of both 2D and 3D drawings in which Juno walks into a features as part of the drawings creating a kind of animation. I overall found that this opening along with the song made me feel quite happy because I found the music was quite jolly and the drawings are there to give a young feeling, putting emphasis on her situation. I also found that the Sunny D gives off an almost comical effect adding to young theme based around this opening. I did not get any negative feelings from this sequence as it mostly happy, other than she is alone throughout it so I gave it a 2/10 for sadness.



American Horror Story: Freak Show (2014)


The AHS: Freak Show is deemed to have one of the scariest title sequences out of all of the AHS series and I would have to say I absolutely agree as I found this very creepy to watch alone. The title sequence contains a montage of clips containing objects all based around the idea of circus' which are definitely there to scare the viewer. The circus world has always been associated with mystery and macabre, which is featured here because it leaves the reader to question: who is dressed up as the clown?  This sequence tries to play with the viewer's emotions, (e.g the carousel moves but there is no one on it) as it it much scarier not knowing what you are scared off rather than it jumping out on you cause it means you can overcome you fear. 



I will use this analysis on feelings when I come to make my own main task because it uses techniques to make the viewer feel something like fear and happiness playing on your inner emotions. I think both of these are quite effective because they introduce the upcoming title well and set the mood for the movie.





No comments:

Post a Comment